summer is prime travel season, and lots of people find themselves on an airplane at some point during the year. here are a few tips to help make your next flight more enjoyable . . .
1. stay hydrated. airplane cabin air can really dehydrate passengers. stay hydrated by drinking at least 8 ounces of water for every hour you are in the air, even if you don't feel thirsty. avoid caffeine and alcohol before and during your flight. caffeine can make you nervous, and both caffeine and alcohol can leave you dehydrated. (also, did you know that one alcoholic drink in the air is the same as two or three on the ground?!)
2. chew gum. i swear by this. my mom and i are both really affected by the pressure change during takeoff and landing. chewing gum stops your ears from popping during takeoff and landing.
3. sit near the front. turbulence is most noticeable in the back of the plane. try to sit as close to the front as possible. (before you book your flight, check out seatguru in order to see the layout of your plane.)
4. wear your seat belt. 99% of turbulence-related injuries are from unfastened seat belts or falling luggage, so keep that seat belt fastened when you are in your seat.
5. fly overnight. depending on where you are traveling, it can be helpful to book an overnight flight. you can have dinner at a normal time, and you will be more likely to sleep on the flight. this will help to avoid jet lag since it will be morning when you arrive at your destination.
6. keep yourself occupied. flights can be boring, so bring something to do on the plane . . . a book to read, a movie to watch on a tablet, or a pack of cards / a travel game to play.
7. bring your own snacks. not all flights serve meals or snacks, and when they do the food tends to be really expensive. so, pack your own snacks at home but avoid anything too sweet or salty. (i always like things like cheerios, granola bars, or nuts.) you can even bring an empty water bottle and then fill it up at a water fountain at the airport to save money too.
8. pack a change of clothes in your carry-on bag. you never know what might happen on a plane. the flight attendant could accidentally spill a drink on you, or the kid sitting next to you could throw up on you. planes are gross, and it could be hours until you are able to access the clothes that you packed in your checked luggage. that's why it's a good idea to pack a change of clothes in your carry-on bag.
9. remember to breathe. breathing deeply (in through your nose and out through your mouth) can calm your nerves. if you tend to get nervous when you fly, remind yourself that the chances of being in a plane accident are about 1 in 11 million. flying is the second safest mode of transportation in the world (second to elevators and escalators).
10. get some fresh air. airplane cabins have humidity levels similar to desert climates. this can cause headaches. so, as soon as you get out of the airport get some fresh air to refresh yourself.
i'd love to know, what are some of your flying tips?
. . .